Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Garden

In my parents backyard there is this patch of dirt that is about 8 feet long and 4 feet wide. Various things have grown in this place...when I was a kid I remember this huge fern that grew so big that it scraped against the window when it was windy and I always thought it sounded scary. . One thing after another that "garden" didn't ever look all that pretty.

This spring, I was inspired. I headed out there and pulled on the weeds that had grown a long with the million little tiny palm trees that started growing because of all the seeds that blew off our tree, I turned up the soil and added some water and fertilizer. I found some interesting things as a raked through the soil, a rusty nail, a buried tennis ball, and I found a sprinkler pipe (and cracked it as well) oops sorry Dad!

I then planted Marigolds, and Cosmos seeds. And waited and waited...until slowly but surely my seeds grew :) I was so excited! Within 3 weeks I had sprouts and a month later, I have a full on flower garden! It was such a joy to wake up one morning and see the first pink flower! I spent every morning watering, weeding, and keeping the soil loose. I thank God for such a simple joy and how small yet still miraculous it is to see a tiny seed turn into a beautiful flower. It was the same awe that I get when I stand under the sky at night and gaze at the stars. How big God is, and how He puts everything in its place. As well as the process of a flower.

Just like that seed, we need to be planted in fresh healthy soil, a firm foundation, a place we can grow, God takes His time to water us with His word, shine His love, mercy and forgiveness on us, and we wait patiently for the process of sanctification as we are turned into something beautiful!

"Beautiful, Beautiful, Jesus is Beautiful and Jesus makes beautiful things of my life, carefully, touching me, causing my eyes to see, that Jesus makes beautiful things of my life."

Here are some pics of my garden!




















No comments: